Department of Mathematics and Computer Science "Ulisse Dini",
University of Florence
Viale Morgagni 67/A,
50134 Florence, Italy
- Curriculum vitae (as of December 2018)
Biographical and Personal Information
- Married to Maria Cecilia Frattin
- Father of Sara and Elena
- Italian citizen
- 1965: Maturità Liceo Classico "L. A. Muratori", Modena
- 1970: Laurea in Physics, University of Modena
- 1970-72: Assistant Lecturer in Physics, University of Asmara (Eritrea), Volontario di Servizio Civile (Civil Service Volunteer)
- 1973-77: Junior School Teacher in Scuola Media Statale "M. Guerri", Reggello (Florence)
- 1978-82: High School Teacher in Liceo Scientifico Statale "G. Castelnuovo", Florence
- 1983-87: Assistant Professor (Ricercatore) in the Department of Mathematics "Ulisse Dini", University of Florence
- October 1987-October 2002: Full Professor of Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, University of Milan
- November 1, 2002-October 31, 2016: Full Professor of Mathematical Logic, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
"Ulisse Dini", University of Florence
- November 1, 2016-present: Honorary Member,
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
"Ulisse Dini", University of Florence.
- International Academy of Philosophy of Science, AIPS,
Bruxelles, Member since 1995
- National Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences,
ANCEFN, Buenos Aires, Corresponding Member since 2000
Honors and Awards
- Alfiere del Lavoro, Rome 1965, awarded by the President of the Italian Republic, (after the Maturità examination)
- President, Associazione Italiana di Logica e sue Applicazioni, AILA, 1994-1998
- President, Kurt Gödel Society, KGS, Vienna, 1992-1996
- Member of the Centro de Logica, Epistemologia e História da Ciência, CLE, UNICAMP,
State University of Campinas, Brazil, 1995-present
- Member of the Scientific Council of the
European Association for Computer Science Logic, EACSL, 1993-present
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Bahía Blanca, UNS, Argentina, 1999
- Member of the Advisory Board of the
Centro de Algebra, CAUL, University of Lisbon, 2003-2014
- Member of the Advisory Board for the
Doctoral Program Logical Methods
in Computer Science at TU Vienna, 2014-present
Selected Administrative Positions
- Secretary of the Scientific Committee of the Group for Algebra and Geometry. Istituto Nazionale Alta Matematica (National Institute of Advanced Mathematics) "Francesco Severi", (GNSAGA-INDAM), 1997-2013
- Coordinator for the University of Florence of the IRSES European Project on "Mathematical Tools for the Management of Uncertain and Vague Information", (Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Spain) (Acronym: MaToMUVI), 2011-2014.
- Scientific Coordinator of the Marie-Curie IEF Project on "Topological Representations of MV-algebras", (Acronym: TopRepMVAlg), 2011-2012
- Coordinator (Florence Research Unit) of the National PRIN-COFIN Projects on "Many-Valued Logic". Italian Ministry of Science and Technology, years:
2010-2011, 2006-2008, 2004, 2002
- Coordinator (Milan Research Unit) of the National PRIN-COFIN Projects on "Many-Valued Logic". Italian Ministry of Science and Technology, years: 2000 and 1994-1998
- Vice-President, European Community Action Cost 15 on "Many-valued Logics for Computer Science Applications", 1994-1999
- Member of the Standing Committee, Schools of the European Foundation on Logic, Language and Information, ESSLI, 1995-1998
- Coordinator of the Ph.D. program in Computer Science of the Department of Computer Science of the University of Milan, 1992-2000
- Italian Coordinator of the bilateral project with Austria on "Analytic Methods in Many-valued Logic", 1998-2001
- Italian Coordinator of the bilateral project of scientific and technological cooperation with Argentina on "Many-valued Logic", signed in Buenos Aires, December 2001
- Italian Coordinator of the bilateral project
of scientific and technological cooperation with Argentina,
on "Information under Uncertain Conditions: from Foundations to Applications",
signed in Buenos Aires, December 2004
- Studia Logica, Springer, Managing Editor, 1993-present
- Trends in Logic, Kluwer-Springer, Book Series Editor, 1995-present
- Journal of Algebra and its Applications, World Scientific, Editor, 2002-present
- Journal of Multiple-valued Logic and Soft Computing, OCP Publishers, Editor, 2002-present
- International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, Elsevier, Associate Editor, 2012-present
- Studies in Logic, Sun Yat-sen University (Guangzhou)
and Chinese Association of Logic, Editor, 2008-present
- Advances in Applied Mathematics, Elsevier, Editor, 1995-2010
- Journal of Logic, Language and Information, Kluwer, Editor, 1991-1999
- Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, North-Holland, Advisory Editor, 1990-1995
- International Schools for Computer Science Researchers, Oxford University Press, Book Series Editor, 1993-1997
- (with G. Gottlob and A. Leitsch)
Gödel Symposium held in Brno, Czech Republic,
Lecture Notes in Computer Science,
Vol. 713, 1993
- (with P. Miglioli, U. Moscato, M. Ornaghi)
Theorem Proving with Analytic Tableaux:
Proceedings of Tableaux 96 Conference held in
Palermo, Italy, in May 1996, Lecture Notes in
Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 1071, 1996
- L'insegnamento della Logica,
(The Teaching of Logic), Jointly published
by the Italian Society of Logic and its Applications,
AILA, and Italian Ministry of Education, 1996
- (with J. Van Benthem, M. Dalla Chiara and K. Doets)
Logic and Scientific Methods: Proceedings of the Tenth International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Florence, August 1995, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Synthese Library, Vol. 259, 1997
- (with J. Van Benthem, M. Dalla Chiara and K. Doets)
Structures and Norms in Science: Proceedings of the
Tenth International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Florence, August 1995, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Synthese Library, Vol. 260, 1997
- (with A. Marcja and M. Boffa) Proceedings
AILA-KGS Meeting in Model Theory, Florence 1995,
Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, Vol. 88, 1997
- (with G. Gottlob and A. Leitsch)
Computational Logic and Proof Theory, Proceedings
5th Gödel Colloquium, Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, Vol. 1289, 1997
- Many-valued logics, special issue of
Studia Logica, Vol. 61.1, 1998
- (with M. Dalla Chiara) special issue of
Studia Logica, in honor of Ettore Casari on his 65th birthday, Vol. 62.2, 1999
- Logics of Uncertainty, special issue of
Journal of Logic, Language and Information, Vol. 9, 2000
- (with S. Ghilardi) Constructivism in
non-classical logics and computer science, special issue of Studia Logica in memoriam Pierangelo Miglioli, Vol. 73.1, 2003
- (with F. Cicalese and U. Vaccaro)
Combinatorics of Searching, Sorting and Coding, special issue of Discrete Applied Mathematics, Vol. 137.1, 2004
- (with Shier Ju) Many-valued logic
and cognition, Studia Logica, Vol. 90.1, 2008
- (with E. Agazzi and I. M .L. D'Ottaviano)
Proceedings of the CLE-AIPS event honoring Newton da Costa,
Campinas, São Paulo Brazil, August 2009.
Proceedings are published in the special issue Vol. 97.1
of Studia Logica, and in special volumes of
Manuscrito, and of Principia
(with L. Beklemishev, G. Bezhanishvili and Y. Venema)
In memoriam Leo Esakia, Studia Logica, Vol. 100, 2012
Coherence and Truth,
Soft Computing, (2017)
Franco Montagna. Co-edited with
A. di Nola, C.Toffalori and A.Ursini.
- University of Buenos Aires, UBA (several times)
- Institute for Advanced Mathematics, IAM,
Buenos Aires (several times)
- Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague (several times)
- State University of Campinas, UNICAMP,
Brazil (several times)
- Institute of Advanced Studies of the University of São Paulo (1991)
- Banach Center of Warsaw (1996)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (1989, 2000)
JAIST, Japan Institute of Science and Technology, Kanazawa (2002)
- University of La Plata (2000, 2001)
- ZIF, Bielefeld (several times)
- Institute for Catalan Studies, Barcelona (1997)
- Center of Algebra, University of Lisbon, CAUL, (several times)
- Center for Machine Perception, Charles University of Prague (2003, 2008)
- Institute of Logic and Cognition, Sun Yat-sen University,
Guangzhou, China (2007, 2016)
Math. Dept. Beihang University, Beijing, China,
New York University Abu Dhabi, March 2017.
Invited talks and/or short visits for scientific cooperation
Amsterdam, Angers, Barcelona, Basel, Bern,
Cambridge, Dortmund, Freiburg i.Br., Haifa,
Heidelberg, Karlsruhe, Kosice, Linz, Malaga,
Mexico City, Natal,
Oxford, Paris VII,
Pisa (Scuola Normale Superiore), Prague, Stanford,
Utrecht, Nashville (Vanderbilt), Vienna
Plenary Invited Speaker (a selection)
- ASL European Logic Colloquium:
Florence (1982), Padova (1988) and Keele, UK (1993)
- Oberwolfach meetings in Mathematical Logic
- Dagstuhl meetings in Computer Science (1993,1997)
- Easter Conferences in Model Theory,
Humboldt University, Berlin, (all 10 editions)
- Computer Science Logic, CSL (Kaiserslautern 1989,
Heidelberg 1990, Bern 1991)
- Meeting of the Omega group, in preparation of the
book "Model-Theoretic Logics'', Springer, 1985;
Freiburg, June 1981, Stanford, April 1982
- Open Days in Model Theory and Set Theory,
Jadwisin, Poland, September 1981
- Table Ronde de Logique, Paris VII, October 15-16, 1983
- VII SLALM, Latin American Symposium in Mathemathical Logic,
CLE UNICAMP, July 29-August 2, 1985
- Ordered algebraic structures, Paris VII, May 5, 1987
- Logic in Computer Science, Marseille-Luminy, CIRM,
June 20-24, 1988
Knowledge, Belief and Strategic Interaction, Castiglioncello, Italy, June 6-10, 1989
Workshop on Boolean Functions, Propositional Logic and AI Systems, Ulm, Germany,
September 4-5, 1989
MFCS, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Banská
Bystrica, August 27-30, 1990
INDAM meeting on Effectiveness in Algebra and in Logic, Cortona,
Italy, October 8-11, 1990
- Second International School on the Philosophy of Science,
International Center for Theoretical Physics, ICTP, Trieste, Italy
28 October-9 November, 1991
- Semester on Algebraic Methods in Logic
and their Computer Science Applications,
S. Banach International Math. Center, Warsaw,
November 12-22, 1991
- IX SLALM, Latin American Symposium in Mathematical Logic,
In memoriam A. Raggio, UNS, Bahía Blanca, Argentina,
August 3-8, 1992
- Third Kurt Gödel Colloquium, KGC'93, Brno, Czech Republic, August 24-27, 1993
- Order in Algebra and Logic with
Applications, jointly with Istituto
Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici (Naples),
Oxford, March 22-23, 1995
Model Theory and Algebra, Dresden, Germany,
June 8-10, 1995
X SLALM, Latin American Symposium in Mathematical Logic,
Universidad de los Andes, Bogotà, Colombia, July 24-29, 1995
- International Symposium
Order in Algebra and Logic, jointly with Istituto
Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici, Galway,
April 10-11, 1996
- Brazilian Logic Conference, XI EBL jointly with WoLLIC'96,
Universidade Federal de
Salvador, Brazil, May 6-10, 1996
- Kurt Gödel Legacy,
Brno, Czech Republic, August 26-28, 1996
- "Waves", in honor of Giuliano Toraldo di Francia,
Florence, September 15-17, 1996
- Logic, Algebra and Computer Science.
In memoriam Helena Rasiowa.
Warsaw, December 4-7, 1996
- IFSA Symposia:
Bruxelles 1991, Prague 1997, Liptovski Mikulasz 2000
- Order in Algebra and Logic with Applications,
Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici,
April 22-24, 1997
- The Logic of Soft Computing, Prague, June 26-29, 1997
- Symposium on Logic and Computer Science,
ENC '97, Univ. Autónoma,
Querétaro (Mexico), September 12-13, 1997
- Order in Algebra and Logic
jointly with Istituto
Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici, Celebrating Mario Curzio,
Barcelona, January 26-29,
- COST Action 15 workshop on Many-valued Logic,
Liège, Belgium, April 23-26, 1998
- XI SLALM,
Latin American Symposium in Mathematical Logic,
Universidad de Los Andes,
Mérida, Venezuela, July 6-10, 1998
Symposium, Torun, Poland, July 15-17, 1998 (opening address)
- ASL European Logic Colloquium.
Special session on many-valued logic,
Prague, August 9-15, 1998
- V Congress "Dr. Antonio A.R. Monteiro", UNS,
Bahía Blanca, Argentina, April 21-23, 1999 (opening address)
- Grigore Moisil Symposium,
Bucharest, May 6-9, 1999 (opening address)
- Workshop in Logic and Physics of Computation,
Erice, Sicily, International School of Mathematics
"G. Stampacchia'', Ettore Majorana foundation and centre for
scientific culture, July 29-August 1, 1999
- In memoriam Gian-Carlo Rota, Maratea,
Italy, October 6-7, 1999
- Second World Congress on Paraconsistency,
in honor of Newton C.A. da Costa on his 70th birthday, USP, São Paulo,
May 12-19, 2000
- Perspectives on Adaptivity and Learning.
Workshop at ZIF, Bielefeld, Germany,
September 25-29, 2000
- Congress in memoriam Pierangelo Miglioli,
Mantua, Italy, October 1-2, 2000
on Lattice ordered groups and f-rings,
Gainesville, Florida, USA, February 28-March 3, 2001
- Congress of the International
Association, IQSA, Cesena, Italy, March 31-April 1, 2001
- XIV Coloquio Latinoamericano de Algebra,
La Falda, Còrdoba, Argentina, August 1-10, 2001
- SOFSEM, Theory and Practice of Informatics,
Piestany, Slovakia, December 1-3, 2001
- Information in natural sciences,
social sciences, humanities
and engineering, ZIF, Bielefeld,
Germany, February 27-March 1, 2002
- 32nd IEEE International
Symposium for multiple-valued logic,
Boston, Massachusetts, USA, May 15-17, 2002
- International Conference on
Modern Algebra, honoring the 60th birthday of Ralph McKenzie,
Vanderbilt, Nashville, Tennessee, USA,
May 22-25, 2002
- First Italian-American UMI-AMS meeting,
Pisa, Italy, June 13, 2002
- The Logic of Soft Computing, II,
Capri island, Italy, October 19-21, 2002
- Algebra and Substructural Logics,
JAIST, Kanazawa, Japan, November 10-13, 2002 (opening address)
- Conference on
Lattices, Universal Algebra and Algebraic Logic, CAUL, Lisbon,
May 28-30, 2003
- Special Evening Lecture in the
European School on Logic, Language and Information, ESSLI 2003,
Vienna, August 27, 2003
- 50 Years
of Studia Logica, Roskilde University, Copenhagen, November
Residuated Structures and many-valued Logics,
Patras, Greece, June 2-4, 2004
The Challenges of Semantics,
Vienna, July 12-17, 2004
- Algebra, Logic and Cybernetics,
in honor of the 75th anniversary of the birth of
A.I. Kokorin. Irkutsk, Russia, August 25-28, 2004
First Indian Conference on Logic and its Relationships with other Disciplines,
Indian Institute of Technology, IIT,
Mumbay, India, January 8-13, 2005
- International Conference Algebra and its
Applications, Athens, Ohio, USA, March 22-25, 2005
- Arbeitstagung Allgemeine Algebra (AAA),
Vienna, May 26-29, 2005
- The Logic of Soft Computing, IV ERCIM Soft Computing
Workshop, Ostrava, Czech Republic,
October 7-10, 2005
- Conferences on Ordered structures, Nashville
(Vanderbilt), and Gainesville (Univ. Florida), February 27-March 13, 2006
- Logic, Models, Computer Science, in memoriam Sauro Tulipani,
Camerino, Italy, April 20-22, 2006
- 7th International Conference
on Applied Artificial Intelligence, FLINS06, Genoa, Italy,
August 29-31, 2006
- Towards Mathematical Philosophy, Trends in Logic IV,
Torun, Poland, September 1-4, 2006
- Algebra and substructural logics, in honor
of A. Wronski, Krakow, November 6-8, 2006
- IX Congreso A. Monteiro, UNS, Bahía
Blanca, Argentina, May 30-June 1, 2007
in honor of Antonio Aniceto Monteiro, Lisbon, June 4-5, 2007
- Order, Algebra and Logics, Vanderbilt,
Nashville, Tennessee USA,
June 13-16, 2007
Trends in Logic V, Many-Valued Logic and Cognition,
Guangzhou, China, July 6-9, 2007
CLE 30th anniversary, UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil,
September 11-22, 2007
- 18th Congress of the Italian Mathematical
Union, UMI, Bari, Italy, September 28-29, 2007
- Shanks workshop on
Proof Theory and Algebra,
Vanderbilt, Nashville, USA, March 6-8, 2008
- Residuated Structures in Algebra and Logic,
Institute for Advanced Mathematics, IAM,
Buenos Aires, April 16-19, 2008 (opening address)
- Nonclassical Logics and their Applications,
Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa,
Centro Ennio De Giorgi, April 24-26, 2008
The Paul Conrad legacy, Univ. of Florida,
Gainesville, USA, May 5-8, 2008
- Conference in honor of Beppo Levi,
Istituto Italo Latino Americano, Rome, June 11, 2008
- LATD08, Logic, Algebra and Truth Degrees,
Siena, September 8-11, 2008
- Conference in honor of Francesc Esteva,
Univ. Autònoma Barcelona, November 7-8, 2008
- The Legacy of 30 Seminars, Linz, February 4-7, 2009
The digital footprint of Gian-Carlo Rota,
Milan, February 16-18, 2009
- Shanks Workshop on Ordered Groups in Logic,
Vanderbilt, Nashville, Tennessee, March 21-22, 2009,
- Algebra and Probability in many-valued
Logics, Darmstadt, May 7-9, 2009, (opening address)
- ORD/OAL, a celebration of Charles Holland,
Bowling Green, Ohio, June 15-18, 2009, (closing address)
- Tenth European Conference on Symbolic
and Quantitative Approaches to Reasoning with Uncertainty
ECSQARU09, Verona, July 1-3, 2009
- Science, Truth and Consistency, CLE-AIPS event
in celebration of the 80th birthday of Newton C.A. da Costa,
Campinas, SP, Brazil, August 23-28, 2009
- Logical Foundations of Rational Interaction,
Scuola Normale Superiore Pisa, Centro E. De Giorgi,
November 1-4, 2009
- "Beauty of Logic", honoring Petr Hájek
on his 70th birthday, Prague, February 6-7, 2010
ISMVL 2010, Int. Symp. Multiple Valued Logic,
Barcelona, May 27-28, 2010
ASUBL4, Algebra and Substructural Logics 4, JAIST, Kanazawa, Japan,
June 5-11, 2010
- MFCS-CSL, (Mathematical Foundations
of Computer Science, jointly with Computer Science Logic)
Republic, August 28-29, 2010 (opening address)
on Order in Algebra and Logic, Trends in Logic VIII,
UBA, Buenos Aires, October 13-15, 2010 (opening address)
- Uncertainty and Vagueness, Salerno, Italy,
May 18-20, 2011
Second International Conference on Order, Algebra, and Logics:
honoring Ralph McKenzie, Hiroakira Ono, and Andrzej Wronski,
Krakow, June 6-10, 2011
Ordered groups and lattices in algebraic logic, in memoriam
Leo Esakia, Trends in Logic X,
Tbilisi, Georgia, September 20-23, 2011
- Concepts and Meaning.
Workshop in honor of Alexander Leitsch on his
60th birthday, Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms, May 4-5, 2012
XV Latin American Symposium on Mathematical Logic, SLALM,
Universidad de Los Andes,
Bogotá, Colombia, June 4-8, 2012
- ManyVal '12,
honoring Antonio Di Nola on his 65th birthday,
Salerno, Italy, 4-7 July 2012
- Philosophy and Mathematics of Uncertainty and Vagueness,
CLE-UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil, August 6-15, 2012
Logic, Algebra and Truth-Degrees,
LATD 2012, JAIST, Kanazawa, Japan, September 11-14, 2012
- Per il centenario di Alan Turing, fondatore
Centro Linceo Interdisciplinare
Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei,
Rome, November 22, 2012
- Universal Logic, Rio de Janeiro, April 3-7, 2013
- Fourth International Workshop
"Algebra and Coalgebra meet Proof
Theory" (ALCOP 2013), Utrecht, The Netherlands,
April 18-20, 2013
Mathematics in Armenia. Advances and Perspectives, II,
dedicated to the 70th anniversary
of the foundation of the Armenian Academy of Sciences,
August, 24-31, 2013, Tsaghkadzor, Armenia
- Algebra Workshop: 34 years of CAUL,
18-22 November 2014, Lisbon, (opening address)
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA,
5-9 January 2015,
- Final meeting of the IRSES MaToMuVi European Project,
UBA, Buenos Aires, February 25-27, 2015
- Ordered Algebraic Structures,
Jupiter, Florida, USA, May 8-10, 2015
- Topology, Algebra, and Categories in Logic,
TACL 2015, Ischia island, Italy, 21-26 June, 2015
- New direction in inverse semigroups, Fields Institute,
Ottawa, Canada, June 1-4, 2016
- SYSMICS 2016, Syntax meets Semantics,
Barcelona, Spain, September 5-9, 2016,
(an "open" lecture)
Consistency, Contradiction, Paraconsistency and Reasoning, 40 years of CLE.
Trends in Logic XVI, CLE, UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil,
September 12-15, 2016 (closing address)
Non-classical Logics and Their Applications: The 8th
International Workshop on Logic and Cognition,
Guangzhou, China, December 5-9, 2016
XIV Congreso Antonio Monteiro, Univ. Nacional
del Sur, Bahia Blanca, Argentina, May 31-June 2, 2017
SYSMICS "Geometry and non classical logic".
University of Salerno (Fisciano, Italy)
Sept. 5-8, 2017
ISRALOG17, Haifa, Israel, Research Workshop
of the Israel Science Foundation,
Oct. 15-17, 2017
Celebrating Alexander Leitsch on his 60th birthday,
Tech. Univ., Vienna, Oct. 20, 2017
Emil Artin International Conference.
Dedicated to the 120th Anniversary of Emil Artin.
Yerevan. Republic of Armenia, May 27-June 2, 2018
Vojtech Jarnik International Mathematical Competition,
Ostrava, Czech Republic, April 11-14, 2018
UNILOG 2018, 6th World Congress and School on Universal Logic, Vichy, France, June 21-26, 2018
Logic Colloquium 2018,
Special Session on nonclassical logics, Udine, Italy,
July 22-27, 2018
Duality in Algebra and Logic,
Faculty of Mathematics,
Chapman University, Orange CA.
SYSMICS workshop, September 14-17, 2018.
Selected Short Courses
- Abstract Model Theory, Math. Dept.,
University of Perugia, Italy, 1983
- Algebra, Math. Dept.,
University of Salerno, Italy, 1983
- Abstract Model Theory, Math. Dept.,
University of Siena, Italy, 1986
- Logic of adaptive Coding, UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil, 1988
- Complexity of Boolean Functions, First International School for Computer Science Researchers, Acireale, Italy, June 1989
- Automated Deduction, Math. Dept.,
University of Siena, 1991
- Algebraic Logic, Mendoza, Argentina, August 1994
- Algebraic Logic, Centre de Recerca Matematica, Barcelona, July 1997
- Algebraic Foundations of many-valued Reasoning, UBA, Buenos Aires,
- Algebraic Logic, Mérida, Venezuela, July 1998
- An invitation to many-valued logic, UNS, Bahía Blanca, Argentina, April 1999
- Many-valued logic: from coding theory to operator algebras,
Third Panhellenic Logic Symposium, Anogia, Greece, July 2001
- Combinatorial fans, lattice-groups and many-valued logic, 47th Séminaire Lotharingien de Combinatoire, Bertinoro, Italy, October 2001
- Logic, Collegio Ghislieri, Pavia, Italy, 2001-2002
- The logic of imprecisely defined functions, International School on Neural Nets, 5th Course, Ettore Majorana Foundation, Erice, Italy, March 2002
- Many-Valued Logic, First International Conference on Logic and its Applications, Mumbay, January 2005,
- MV-algebras, Symposium on Ordered Structures in Many-valued Logic,
Sorrento, Naples, May 2006
- Recent results in many-valued logic, UNS, Bahía Blanca, Argentina, May 2007
- An introduction to many-valued logic, Sun Yat-sen Univ.,
Guangzhou, China, July 2007
- Logic and Polyhedra, UNICAMP, Campinas, Brazil, September 2007
- Calculability and Complexity, AILA Summer School, Gargnano, Italy, August 2015
- Summer School on General Algebra and Ordered Sets, Srní, Czech Republic,
Łukasiewicz logic, Vienna Technical University, May 2017.
- Various American and European universities, for promotion and tenure
- Various international publishers, for book projects in logic and computer science
- Landau Network, Centro Volta,
Villa Olmo, Como, Italy (1997-2002)
- International Association for the Promotion of Co-operation with Scientists from the New Independent States of the former Soviet Union, INTAS, Brussels, Belgium (1999-2002)
- Third World Academy of Sciences, TWAS, Trieste, Italy (1995-2000)
- Various National and International Committees and Agencies for the evaluation of research projects
Program Committee Member
- Logic Colloquium, Padova, Italy, 1988
- Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, MFCS 1990, Banská Bystrica, Slovakia, 1990
- International School for Computer Science Researchers, Acireale, Italy, Director of the first (1989) and of the third (1991) School
- Fourth European Summer School in Language Logic and Information, Essex, UK, 1992, Coordinator of the Area of Computation
- International Seminars of the Johannes Kepler University of Linz, Austria, since 1992
- Gödel Colloquium, held in Brno, Czech Republic, 1993
- International Congress for the 60th birthday of Roberto Magari, Siena, Italy, 1994
- Order in Algebra and Logic V, Oxford, 1995, Chairman of Program Committee
- Second World Conference on the Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence, Paris, 1995
- ASL Logic Colloquium, Haifa, Israel, 1995
- International IUHPS Symposium in Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Florence 1995, Member of the General Program Committee
- AILA-KGS Meeting on Model Theory, Florence 1995, Chairman of the Scientific Committee
- Gödel Colloquium, Brno, 1996, Chairman of the Scientific Committee
- Theorem Proving with Analytic Tableaux, Palermo, Italy, 1996
- Order in Algebra and Logic VI, in honor of Giuseppe Tallini, Galway, Ireland, 1996, Chairman of the Program Committee
- Computational logic and proof theory, Gödel Colloquium, Vienna, 1997, Chairman of the Scientific Committee
- Order in Algebra and Logic VII, CIRM Marseille-Luminy, France, April 1997, Chairman of Program Committee
- Meeting on Multiple-valued logic, Dagstuhl, Germany, October 1997, co-organizer
- 4th Barcelona Logic Meeting, February 1998
- National School of the Italian PhD programs in Computer Science, Bertinoro, Bologna, Italy, May, 1998
- Eleventh Latin American Symposium on Mathematical Logic, Mérida, Venezuela, 1998
- 6th European Workshop on Logics in AI, JELIA'98, Dagstuhl, Germany, 1998
- Logic Colloquium, Prague, 1998, Program Committee member, Chairman of a Special Session on Many-valued and Fuzzy Logic
- Workshop on Logic and Physics of Commputation, Ettore Majorana Centre for Physics, Erice, Italy, Director, 1999
- Constructivism in non-classical logic and computer science, (in memoriam Pierangelo Miglioli), Mantua, Italy, 2000
- COSSAC, Combinatorics of Searching, Sorting and Coding, Ischia, Italy, 2001
- The Logic of Soft Computing, Gargnano, Brescia, Italy, 2001, Chairman of the Program Committee
- SOFSEM, Prague, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Oviedo 2003, member of the Committee on Philosophical Logic
- First Florence-Vienna Workshop on Logic and Computation, Florence, January 2004, Chairman of the Program Committee
- General Theory of Information Transfer, ZIF, Bielefeld, April 2004, co-organizer
- Beauty of Logic, Celebrating Petr Hajek's 65th birthday, Prague, February 2005, Chairman of the Program Committee
- Second Vienna-Florence meeting in Logic and Computation, Florence, November 2005, Chairman of the Program Committee
- Gödel Prize for Young Scholars, Vienna, April 2006, Member of the Selection Committee
- Residuated structures: algebra and logic, Buenos Aires, April 2008
- CLE-AIPS Event in honor Newton da Costa, UNICAMP Campinas, SP, Brazil, August 2009, co-chair of the Program Committee
- Conference on Rationality, Probability and Logic, Pontignano and Pisa, Scuola Normale Superiore, November 2009
- Logic, Algebra and Truth Degrees 2010, Prague, September 2010
- Algebraic Semantics for Uncertainty and Vagueness, Salerno,
Italy, May 2011
- Ordered groups and lattices in algebraic logic, Tbilisi, Georgia, September 2011
- Trends in Logic XI, 2012, Studia Logica International Conference, Ruhr-Universität,
Bochum, Germany, June 2012
- ManyVal 2013, Prague, Member of the Steering Committee
- Beyond True and False: Logic, Algebra and Topology, Florence, December
- ManyVal 2015, Les Diablerets, Switzerland, December 11-13, 2015
- "Coherence and Truth, In memoriam
Franco Montagna", December 16-18, 2015, Pontignano (Siena, Italy)
- Trends in Logic XVI, CLE-UNICAMP, Campinas,
Brazil, September 2016
- TACL 2017, Olomouc, Czech Republic, June 2017
Emil Artin International Conference.
Dedicated to the 120th Anniversary of Emil Artin,
Yerevan, the Republic of Armenia, May 27-June 2, 2018.
Ph D Thesis Advisor
- Stefano Aguzzoli, Proof-theory in many-valued logic
- Agata Ciabattoni, Proof-theory in many-valued logics
- Ferdinando Cicalese, Coding with feedback
- Ernesto Damiani, Algebraic techniques in space decomposition
- Brunella Gerla, Many-valued logics of continuous t-norms
- Reiner Hähnle, Automated deduction in multiple-valued logics
- Corrado Manara, Non-boolean partitions and interpretable control systems
- Vincenzo Marra, Many-valued partitions and l-groups
- Nicola Olivetti, Algorithmic proof-theory for nonclassical logic
- Giovanni Panti, Many-valued logic and its applications
- 5 books authored
- 6 books edited
- 9 special issues edited
- over 175 articles published
- Robinson consistency theorem in soft model theory,
Rendiconti Accademia Lincei Mat. Appl., 67 (1979) 383-386.
- Natural limitations of algorithmic procedures in logic, Rendiconti Accademia Lincei Mat. Appl., 69 (1980) 101-105.
- Ergodic undefinability in set theory and recursion theory, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 82 (1981) 107-111.
- Robinson's consistency theorem in soft model theory, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 263 (1981) 231-241.
- Irreversibility, uncertainty, relativity and computer limitations, Il Nuovo Cimento, Europhysics J., 61 B, n. 2 (1981) 297-305.
- Applications of many-sorted Robinson consistency theorem, Zeit.math.Logik, 27 (1981) 181-188.
- A group-theoretical invariant for elementary equivalence and its role in representations of elementary classes, Studia Logica, 40 (1981) 253-267.
- An algebraic result about soft model theoretical equivalence relations with an application to H. Friedman's fourth problem, J. Symbolic Logic, 46 (1981) 523-530.
- Craig's interpolation theorem in computation theory, Rendiconti Accademia Lincei Mat. Appl., 70 (1981) 6-11.
- Duality between logics and equivalence relations, Trans.Amer.Math.Soc., 270 (1982) 111-129.
- Compactness, interpolation and Friedman's third problem, Annals of Mathematical Logic, 22 (1982) 197-211.
- Interpolation, compactness and JEP in soft model theory, Archiv math. Logik, 22 (1982) 61-67.
- Complexity of Craig's interpolation, Fundamenta Informaticae, 5 (1982) 261-278.
- L-embedding, amalgamation and L-elementary equivalence, Rendiconti Accademia Lincei Mat. Appl., 72 (1982) 312-314.
- Compactness = JEP in any logic, Fundamenta Mathematicae, 116 (1983) 99-108.
- A lower bound for the complexity of Craig's interpolants in sentential logic, Archiv math.Logik, 23 (1983) 27-36.
- Natural limitations of decision procedures for arithmetic with bounded quantifiers, Archiv math.Logik, 23 (1983) 37-54.
- Δ-tautologies, uniform and nonuniform upper bounds in computation theory, Rendiconti Accademia Lincei Mat. Appl., 75 (1983) 99-101.
- Abstract model theory and nets of C*-algebras: noncommutative interpolation and preservation properties, Lecture Notes in Math., 1103 (1984) 351-377.
- A generalization of abstract model theory, Fundamenta Mathematicae, 124 (1984) 1-25.
- Embeddings, amalgamation and elementary equivalence: the representation of compact logics, Fundamenta Mathematicae, 124 (1984) 109-122.
- NP and Craig's interpolation theorem, In: Proceedings Logic Colloquium '82, Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, North-Holland, Amsterdam, (1984) 345-358.
- Tautologies with a unique Craig interpolant, uniform vs. nonuniform complexity, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 27 (1984) 265-273.
- Model-theoretic logics, AF C*-algebras and many-valued calculi, In: Scienza e Filosofia, Saggi in Onore di Ludovico Geymonat, Garzanti, Milano, (1985) 480-493.
- Other Quantifiers: an Overview, Chapter VI In: Model-Theoretic Logics, Edited by J. Barwise and S. Feferman, Perspectives in Math.Logic, Springer, New York, (1985)
- (with J. A. Makowsky) Abstract Equivalence Relations, Chapter XIX In: Model-Theoretic Logics, Edited by J. Barwise and S. Feferman, Perspectives in Math.Logic, Springer, New York, (1985) 717-746.
- Algebraic many-valued logic and models of physical systems, In: Atti del Congresso Logica e Filosofia della Scienza, oggi, Vol. 1, CLUEB, Bologna, (1986), 83-93.
- MV-algebras are categorically equivalent to bounded commutative BCK-algebras, Math.Japonica, 31 (1986) 889-894.
- Inverse topological systems and compactness in abstract model theory, J. Symbolic Logic, 51 (1986) 785-794.
- Mapping abelian l-groups with strong unit one-one into MV-algebras, J. Algebra, 98 (1986) 76-81.
- Interpretation of AF C*-algebras in Łukasiewicz sentential calculus, J. Functional Analysis, 65 (1986) 15-63.
- Bounded commutative BCK-algebras have the amalgamation property, Math. Japonica, 32 (1987) 279-282.
- Every abelian l-group with two positive generators is ultrasimplicial, J. Algebra, 105 (1987) 236-241.
- (with F. Ammannati, P. Mennonna, R. De Dominicis, G. Dal Pozzo, C. Fonda, G. Pazzaglini, B. Lehmann), CT-guided stereotactic biopsy of endocranial lesions, La Radiologia Medica, 74 (1987) 34-38.
- A simple construction of Robinson equivalence relations, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 101 (1987) 139-141.
- The Turing complexity of AF C*-algebras with lattice-ordered K0, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 270 (1987) 256-264.
- Satisfiability in many-valued sentential logic is NP-complete, Theoretical Computer Science, 52 (1987) 145-153.
- The derivative of truth in Łukasiewicz sentential calculus, In: Proc. VII Latin American Symp. on Math. Logic, Contemporary Mathematics, Vol. 69 (1988) 209-227.
- Free products in the category of abelian l-groups with strong unit, J. Algebra, 113 (1988) 89-109.
- Farey stellar subdivisions, ultrasimplicial groups, and K0 of AF C*-algebras, Advances in Math., 68 (1988) 23-39.
- (with J. Czyzowicz and A. Pelc), Solution of Ulam's problem on binary search with two lies, J.Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 49 (1988) 384-388.
- Polynomial time complexity of certain AF C*-algebras, In: Atti del Congresso: Temi e prospettive della logica e della filosofia della scienza contemporanee, Vol. 1, CLUEB, Bologna, (1988) 151-158.
- Functions computed by monotone Boolean formulas with no repeated variables, Theoretical Computer Science, 66 (1989) 113-114.
- The C*-algebras of three-valued logic, In: Proceedings Logic Colloquium 1988, R. Ferro, C. Bonotto, S. Valentini, A. Zanardo, (Eds.), Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics, Amsterdam: North-Holland, (1989) 61-77.
- (with J. Czyzowicz and A. Pelc), Ulam's searching game with lies, J. Combinatorial Theory, Series A, 52 (1989) 62-76.
- Reducibility of monotone formulas to μ-formulas, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 440 (1990) 267-270.
- Approximately finite-dimensional C*-algebras, abelian l-groups, and Łukasiewicz infinite-valued logic, Publications Mathématiques de l'Université Paris VII, Seminar on Ordered Algebraic Structures, Vol. 2, (1990) 99-115.
- Algebras of Ulam's games with lies, In: Proceedings International Congress of the Italian Society for Logic and Philosophy of Science, SILFS, Vol. 2, CLUEB, Bologna, (1991), 151-162.
- The complexity of adaptive error-correcting codes, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 533 (1991) 300-307.
- Solution of Rota's problem on the order of series-parallel networks, Advances in Applied Mathematics, 12 (1991) 455-463.
- Logic and algebra in Ulam's searching game with lies, Yearbook of the Gödel Society, (1991) 109-114.
- Turing complexity of Behncke-Leptin C*-algebras with a two-point dual, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 6 (1992) 287-294.
- The logic of Ulam's game with lies, In: Knowledge, Belief and Strategic Interaction, Cambridge Studies in Probability, Induction, and
Decision Theory, (1992) 275-284.
- Normal forms in infinite-valued logic: the case of one variable, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 626 (1992) 272-277.
- Ulam's games, Łukasiewicz logic, and AF C*-algebras, Fundamenta Informaticae, 18 (1993) 151-161.
- (with G. A. Elliott) A characterization of lattice-ordered abelian groups, Mathematische Zeitschrift, 213 (1993) 179-185.
- (with G. Panti) Extending addition in Elliott's local semigroup, Journal of Functional Analysis, 117 (1993) 461-471.
- (with G. A. Elliott and R. Cignoli) Reconstructing C*-algebras from their Murray von Neumann orders, Advances in Mathematics, 101 (1993) 166-179.
- Logic of infinite quantum systems, International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 32 (1993) 1941-1955.
- K0, relative dimension and the C*-algebras of Post logic, In: IX Latin American Symposium on Mathematical Logic, Bahía Blanca, Notas de Lógica Matemática, V. 38, part I, (1994) 83-92.
- A constructive proof of McNaughton's theorem, Journal of Symbolic Logic, 59 (1994) 596-602.
- (with S. Aguzzoli), An algorithmic desingularization of 3-dimensional toric varieties, Tohoku Math. Journal, 46 (1994) 557-572.
- (with R. Cignoli and I. M. L. D'Ottaviano), Algebras of Łukasiewicz Logics, (in Portuguese), Collection CLE, Vol. 12, State University of Campinas, Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil, (1994), Second edition, 1995.
- (with M. Pasquetto) A proof of the completeness of the infinite-valued calculus of Łukasiewicz with one variable. In: Non-classical Logics and their Applications, Höhle, U., Klement, E.P.K. (Eds). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1995) 107-123.
- (with W. Sieg), Paper Machines, Philosophia Mathematica, (3) 3 (1995) 5-30.
- Averaging the truth value in Łukasiewicz sentential logic,
special issue in honor of Helena Rasiowa. Studia Logica, 55 (1995) 113-127.
- Łukasiewicz normal forms and toric desingularizations, In: Proceedings Logic Colloquium '93, W.Hodges et al., (Eds.), Oxford University Press, (1996) 401-423.
- Uncertainty measures in MV algebras, and states of AF C*-algebras, special issue in memoriam Rolando Chuaqui, Notas de la Sociedad de Matemáticas de Chile,
15 (1996) 42-54.
- (with C. Cifuentes and A. Sette), Cauchy Completeness in elementary logic, Journal of Symbolic Logic, 61.4 (1996) 1153-1157.
- (with R. Cignoli) An elementary proof of Chang's completeness theorem,
special issue on the Mathematical Treatment of Uncertainty, Studia Logica, 58 (1997) 79-97.
- Gödel incompleteness and quantum thermodynamic limits, In: Philosophy of Mathematics Today, Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1997) 287-298.
- (with W. Sieg), Computability. Routledge Encyclopedia.
- (with R. Cignoli), An invitation to Chang's MV-algebras, In: Advances in Algebra and Model Theory, M. Droste, R. Göbel, (Eds.), Gordon and Breach Publishing Group, Reading, UK, (1997) 171-197.
- (with A. Trombetta), Optimal comparison strategies in Ulam's searching game with two errors, Theoretical Computer Science, 182 (1997) 217-232.
- Nonboolean partitions and their logic. (First Springer Forum on Soft Computing), Soft Computing, 2 (1998) 18-22.
- (with N. Olivetti), Resolution and model building in the infinite-valued calculus of Łukasiewicz, Theoretical Computer Science, 200 (1998) 335-366.
- (with R. Cignoli) An elementary presentation of the equivalence between MV-algebras and l-groups with strong unit, Studia Logica, 61 (1998) 49-64.
- (with G. Panti) Twenty questions with many-valued answers. In: Models, algebras, and proofs, Selected papers of the Xth Latin American Symposium on Mathematical Logic, X. Caicedo, C.H. Montenegro, (Eds.) , Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, Basel, (1999) 295-313.
- Tensor Products and the Loomis-Sikorski theorem for MV-algebras, Advances in Applied Mathematics, 22 (1999) 227-248.
- (with G. Panti) A constructive proof that every 3-generated l-group is ultrasimplicial, Banach Center Publications, Vol. 46 (1999) 169-178.
- Classes of ultrasimplicial lattice-ordered abelian groups, Journal of Algebra, 213 (1999) 596-603.
- (with F. Cicalese) Optimal binary search with two unreliable tests and minimum adaptiveness, In: Proc. European Symposium on Algorithms, ESA `99, J. Nesetril, (Ed.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1643 (1999) 257-266.
- Ulam game, the logic of Maxsat, and many-valued partitions, In: Fuzzy Sets, Logics and Reasoning about Knowledge, D. Dubois, H. Prade, E.P.Klement, (Eds)., Kluwer Academic Publishers, (1999) 121-137.
- (with J. Gispert and A. Torrens) Ultraproducts of Z with an application to many-valued logics, Journal of Algebra, 219 (1999) 214-233.
- Foreword: Logics of Uncertainty, Journal of Logic, Language and Information, 9 (2000) 1-3.
- (with R. Cignoli and I. M. L. D'Ottaviano), Algebraic Foundations of many-valued Reasoning, Trends in Logic, Vol. 7, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, (2000).
- (with F. Cicalese), Perfect two fault-tolerant search with minimum adaptiveness, Advances in Applied Mathematics, 25 (2000) 65-101.
- (with F. Cicalese and U. Vaccaro), Least adaptive optimal search with unreliable tests, Proceedings SWAT2000, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1851 (2000) 549-562.
- Reasoning on imprecisely defined functions, In: Discovering the World with Fuzzy Logic, V.Novak, I.Perfilieva, (Eds.), Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, Vol. 57, Physica-Verlag, Springer, (2000) 331-366.
- (with F. Cicalese), Optimal coding with one asymmetric error: below the sphere packing bound, In: Proceedings COCOON2000, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1858 (2000) 159-169.
- (with C. Drossos), Many-valued points and equality, special issue in honor Newton C.A.da Costa, Synthese, 125 (2000) 97-101.
- (with S. Aguzzoli), Weierstrass approximations by Łukasiewicz formulas with one quantified variable, In: Proceedings 31st IEEE Int. Symp. on Multiple-Valued Logic, ISMVL, (2001) 361-366.
- (with R. Cignoli), Partial isomorphisms on totally ordered abelian groups and Hájek's completeness theorem for basic logic, Multiple valued Logic, special issue dedicated to the memory of Grigore Moisil, Vol. 6 (2001) 89-94.
- (with F. Cicalese and U. Vaccaro), Rota-Metropolis cubic logic and Ulam-Rényi games, In: Algebraic Combinatorics and Computer Science: a tribute to Gian-Carlo Rota, (H. Crapo, D. Senato, Eds.), Springer-Italia, Milan, (2001) 197-244.
- (with G. Panti), Decidable and undecidable prime theories in infinite-valued logic, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 108 (2001) 269-278.
- Fault-tolerance and Rota-Metropolis cubic logic, In: Paraconsistency, Chapter 19, W. Carnielli et al., (Eds.), Marcell Dekker, Inc., (2002) 397-409.
- (with F. Cicalese and U. Vaccaro), Least adaptive optimal search with unreliable tests, Theoretical Computer Science, 270 (2002) 877-893.
- (with B. Riecan) Probability on MV-algebras, In: Handbook of Measure Theory, Vol. 2, E. Pap, (Ed.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, (2002) 869-909.
- (with V. Marra,) Combinatorial fans, l-groups and their neighbours, a short excursion. Séminaire Lotharingien de Combinatoire, 47: Article B47f, (2002), an electronic journal.
- (with V. Marra,) MV-algebras and abelian l-groups: a fruitful interaction, In: Ordered Algebraic Structures, honoring Paul Conrad on his 80th birthday, J.Martinez, (Ed.), Kluwer, (2002) 57-88.
- (with V. Marra,) Consequence and complexity in infinite-valued logic: a survey, In: Proceedings 32nd IEEE Int. Symp. on Multiple-Valued Logic, ISMVL, Boston,
- If-then-else and rule extraction from two sets of rules, In: From Synapses to Rules, Proceedings of an International Workshop held at the Center for Physics "E. Majorana", Erice, Italy. B. Apolloni et al., (Eds.), Kluwer/Plenum, NY, (2002) 87-108.
- (with F. Cicalese,) Learning and the art of fault-tolerant guesswork, Handbook Chapter, In: Perspectives on Adaptivity and Learning. Stamatescu, I. et al., (Eds.), Springer, (2003) 117-143.
- (with S. Aguzzoli,) Weierstrass approximation theorem and Łukasiewicz formulas with one quantified variable, In: Beyond Two: Theory and applications of multiple-valued logic, E. Orlowska, M. Fitting, (Eds.), Physica-Verlag, Springer, Heidelberg, NY, (2003)
- (with V. Marra), Łukasiewicz logic and Chang's MV algebras in action, In: 50 Years of Studia Logica, Trends in Logic, Vol. 21. V.Hendricks, J.Malinowski, (Eds.), Kluwer, Dordrecht, (2003) 145-192.
- (with A. De Simone and M. Navara), A Cantor-Bernstein theorem for sigma-complete MV-algebras, Czechoslovak Math.J, 53 (128) (2003) 437-447.
- (with R. Cignoli and E. Dubuc), An MV-algebraic invariant for boolean algebras with a finite-orbit automorphism, Tatra Mountains Math. Publications, special issue in honor Prof. Jan Jakubík on his 80th birthday, 27 (2003) 23-43.
- Simple Bratteli diagrams with a Gödel incomplete isomorphism problem, Transactions of the American Math. Soc., 356 (2004) 1937-1955.
- (with R. Cignoli and E. Dubuc), Extending Stone duality to multisets, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 189 (2004) 37-59.
- (with F. Cicalese, C. Deppe,) Q-ary Ulam-Rényi game with weighted constrained lies, In: Proceedings COCOON 2004, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3106 (2004) 82-91.
- (with J. Gispert) MV-algebras: a variety for magnitudes with archimedean units, Algebra Universalis, special issue in memoriam Wim Blok, 53.1 (2005) 7 - 43.
- Decidability and Gödel incompleteness in AF C*-algebras, Manuscrito, Rev. Int. Fil., special issue in honor I.M.L.D'Ottaviano on her 60th birthday, Vol. 28 (2005) 547-588.
- A Characterization of the free n-generated MV-algebra, Archive for Mathematical Logic, 45 (2006) 239-247.
- (with R. Cignoli, and M. Navara), Kleene-isomorphic sigma-complete MV-algebras with product are isomorphic, Multiple valued logics and soft computing, special issue in memoriam H. Thiele, 12.1 (2006) 1-8.
- (with R. Cignoli), Stone duality for Dedekind sigma-complete l-groups with order-unit, Journal of Algebra, 302 (2006) 848-861.
- Bookmaking over infinite-valued events, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 43 (2006) 223-240.
- (with V. Marra), Riemann average truth-value of Łukasiewicz formulas, special issue in honor of B. Riecan on his 70th birthday, Mathematica Slovaca, 56 (2006) 511-524.
- (with David W. Miller),
Approximating Truth in Ulam's Game of
Twenty Questions with Lies, pp. 169--179 in: M. Alai and G.
Proceedings of the Conference
Karl Popper Philosopher of
Cesena 27--30/10/1994, Rubbettino Editore,
Soveria Mannelli, 2006.
- Representation of sigma-complete MV-algebras and their associated Dedekind sigma-complete l-groups, Contemporary Mathematics, AMS, Vol. 419, Oxford University Press, (2006) 219-230.
- Revisiting the free two-generator lattice-ordered abelian group, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 208 (2007) 549-554.
- (with C. Manara and V. Marra), Lattice-ordered Abelian groups and Schauder bases of unimodular fans, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, 359 (2007) 1593-1604.
- (with V. Marra, and A. M. W. Glass), Embedding in finitely presented lattice-ordered groups, In: Groups St. Andrews 2005, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes Series, Vol. 340, Cambridge University Press, (2007) 438-444.
- (with M. Busaniche), Geometry of Robinson consistency in Łukasiewicz logic, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 147 (2007) 1-22.
- Free generating sets of lattice-ordered abelian groups, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 211 (2007) 400-403.
- (with V. Marra), The Lebesgue state of a unital abelian l-group, Journal of Group Theory, 10 (2007) 655-684.
- (with J. Kühr), De Finetti theorem and Borel states in [0,1]-valued algebraic logic, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, 46 (2007) 605-616.
- La logica dei poliedri, Bollettino Unione Matematica Italiana, special issue with the plenary invited talks in the 18th Congress of the Italian Mathematical Union, IX, Vol. I, No. 2 (2008) 455-474.
- Geometry of filters in free MV-algebras, Boletim da Sociedade Portuguesa de Matemática, special issue for the Proceedings of the Conference in honor A. A. Monteiro, (2008) 275-286.
- Łukasiewicz logic and de Finetti coherence criterion: recent developments, Studies in Logic, Chinese Association of Logic, 1.2 (2008) 1-16.
- Faithful and invariant conditional probability in Łukasiewicz logic. In: D. Makinson, J. Malinowski and H. Wansing (Eds.), Proceedings of the conference Trends in Logic IV, Torun, Poland, 2006, (Trends in Logic, Vol. 28). Springer, New York, (2008) 213-232.
- (with C. Tsinakis), Gödel incompleteness in AF C*-algebras, Forum Mathematicum, 20.6 (2008) 1071-1084.
- The Haar theorem for lattice-ordered abelian groups with order-unit, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, 21 (2008) 537-549.
- Rota, probability, algebra and logic, In: From Combinatorics to Philosophy, E. Damiani et al., (Eds.), Springer, New York, (2009) 167-181.
- Recognizing the Farey-Stern-Brocot AF algebra, Rendiconti Lincei Mat. Appl., 20 (2009) 327-338.
- Conditionals and independence in many-valued logics, In: Proceedings 10th European Conference on Symbolic and Quantitative Approaches to Reasoning with Uncertainty ECSQARU09. C. Sossai and G. Chemello (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, 5590 (2009) 16-21.
- Interpretation of de Finetti coherence criterion in Łukasiewicz logic, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 161 (2009) 235-245.
- (with L. M. Cabrer), Projective MV-algebras and rational polyhedra, Algebra Universalis, special issue in memoriam Paul Conrad, (J.Martinez et al., Eds.),
62 (2009) 63-74.
- A compact [0,1]-valued first-order Łukasiewicz logic with identity on Hilbert space,
J. Logic and Computation, 21(3) (2009) 509-525.
- From BL to MV, In: Witnessed Years. Essays in Honour Petr Hájek, (P.Cintula et al., Eds.), College Publications, King's College, London, (2010) 273-286.
- (with J. Kühr), From free abelian groups to free abelian l-groups, Mathematica Slovaca, special issue honoring Charles Holland on his 75th birthday, 61(3) (2011) 1-12.
- (with F. Cicalese), Recent Developments of Feedback Coding and Its Relations with Many-Valued Logic, In: Proof, Computation and Agency, Synthese Library, Vol. 352, Part 3, (2011) 115-131.
- Logica: Metodo Breve, Springer-Italia, Milan (2011).
- Advanced Łukasiewicz calculus and MV-algebras, Trends in Logic, Vol. 35 Springer, New York, (2011).
- Rational measure of rational simplexes, In:
Logic without Frontiers, Festschrift
for Walter Alexandre Carnielli on the occasion of his 60th birthday.
Jean-Yves Beziau and Marcelo Esteban Coniglio (Eds.) Volume 17 of Tribute
Series, College Publications, London, (2011) 209-214.
- (with L. M. Cabrer), Finitely presented lattice-ordered abelian groups with order-unit,
Journal of Algebra, 343 (2011) 1-10.
- Finite axiomatizability in Łukasiewicz logic, Annals of Pure and Applied Logic,
162 (2011) 1035-1047.
- Revisiting the Farey AF algebra, Milan Journal of Mathematics,
79 (2011) 643-656.
and interpolation in Łukasiewicz logic,
Studia Logica, special issue honoring Ryszard Wójcicki
on his 80th birthday, 99 (2011) 269-278.
- Logic: a Brief Course,
English Translation of  by Krzysztof Apt,
Springer-Verlag, Milan (2012).
- (with M. Busaniche and L. M. Cabrer),
Confluence and combinatorics in finitely
generated unital lattice-ordered abelian groups,
24 (2012) 253-271.
- (with L. M. Cabrer),
polyhedra and projective
lattice-ordered abelian groups with order unit,
Communications in Contemporary Mathematics,
14. 3 (2012) 1250017 (20 pages).
Dalla macchina di Turing a P/NP,
McGraw-Hill, Milano, (2013).
- Logic on the n-cube,
Journal of Logic and Computation,
26.1 (2013) 409-424.
Advance access July 10, 2013.
- Invariant measure under the affine group over
23 (2014) 248-268.
Universal properties of
Logica Universalis, 8.1
- (with M. Busaniche)
Revista Matemática Iberoamericana,
30.1 (2014) 191-201.
(with A. Pedrini)
The Euler characteristic and valuations on MV-algebras,
special issue honoring J. Jakubík on his 90th birthday,
64.3 (2014) 563-570.
(with W. Sieg) Turing, il matematico,
(Turing, the mathematician). In:
Per il Centenario di Alan Turing fondatore dell'Informatica,
Rome, November 22, 2012.
Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Contributi del Centro Linceo
Interdisciplinare "Beniamino Segre",
Vol. 129 (2014) 85-120.
(with L. M. Cabrer) Interval MV-algebras and generalizations,
Journal of Approximate Reasoning,
55 (2014) 1623-1642.
(with L. M. Cabrer)
A Stone-Weierstrass theorem for MV-algebras and unital
Journal of Logic and Computation,
25.3 (2014) 683-699.
The differential semantics of
Łukasiewicz syntactic consequence,
Chapter 7, In:
Petr Hàjek on Mathematical Fuzzy Logic,
(Montagna F., Ed.), Outstanding
Contributions, Vol. 6,
Springer International Publishing Switzerland,
(with L. M. Cabrer)
Severi-Bouligand tangents, Frenet frames and Riesz
Advances in Applied Mathematics,
64 (2015) 1-20.
A geometric approach to MV-algebras,
In: On Logical, Algebraic and Probabilistic Aspects
of Fuzzy Set Theory, Dedicated to Erich Peter Klement,
(R. Mesiar et al. Eds.), Springer, Berlin (2016)
(with M. Busaniche and L. M. Cabrer)
Fuzzy Sets and Systems,
special issue honoring F. Esteva on his
292 (2016) 150-159.
(with L. M. Cabrer)
of points and rational subspaces,
Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems,
36.9 (2016) 4723-4738.
Hopfian l-groups, MV-algebras and AF C*-algebras,
28.6 (2016) 1111-1130.
Łukasiewicz logic and MV-algebras:recent results,
South American Journal of Logic,
honoring Francisco Miraglia on his 70th birthday,
2 (2016) 443-457. ISSN: 2446-6719
Coherence of de Finetti coherence,
Synthese, 194 (2017) 4055-4063.
Published online on June 1, 2016.
(with L. M. Cabrer)
Idempotent endomorphisms of free MV-algebras
and unital l-groups,
Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra,
221 (2017) 908-934.
(with L. M. Cabrer)
Classifying orbits of the affine group over the
Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems,
37 (2017) 440-453.
Published online: July 21, 2015.
(with L. M. Cabrer)
Germinal theories in Łukasiewicz logic,
Annals of Pure and Applied Logic,
168 (2017) 1132-1151.
Faulty sets of Boolean formulas and
Journal of Logic and Computation,
Special issue honouring Alexander Leitsch on his
27 (2017) 497-507.
Published online: December 8, 2014.
Turing, the Mathematician,
Chapter 2 in:
Philosophical Explorations of the Legacy of
Alan Turing: Turing 100,
J. Floyd, A. Bokulich (Eds.),
Boston Studies in the Philosophy and
History of Science, 324 (2017) 39-62.
Publishing AG 2017, ISBN 3319532804, 9783319532806.
Fans, decision problems and generators of free abelian
29.6 (2017) 1429-1439.
Recognizing free generating sets of l-groups,
Topical collection ``In memory of Bjarni Jónsson",
(J. B. Nation, Editor),
June 2018, 79:24.
Coherence of the product law for independent continuous events,
Chapter 10, pp 207-212, in:
Contradictions, from Consistency
W. Carnielli and J. Malinowski (Eds.),
Trends in Logic, Vol. 47,
Springer International Publishing,
Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2018.
Betting on continuous independent events,
Published online: 19 June 2018.
Word problems in Elliott monoids,
Advances in Mathematics,
335 (2018) 343-371.
De Finetti coherence and the product law for independent events,
196 (2019) 265-271.
Published online: 24 June 2017.